Dusty Turntable

Dusty Turntable

Friday, May 16, 2014

Big Surprise of the Night for Thursday the 14th: a Girl Named Jenny!

I had almost thought about ditching my plans for the night, as another Big Thing (in my world anyway) was happening up in Vermont, but I decided to stay with what for me was a priority.  Gina Gunn had kinda promised she’d show up at Theodore’s to jam with Tommy Whalen, so I felt like I had (maybe just a little) orchestrated this little summit, so I wanted to follow through.  Besides, whenever Tommy Whalen plays, the Jam is sure to flow.  And I now know that the same holds true for Gina.  Twice now, I have seen her become the transforming force in facilitating a shift from an OK jam to full dance floor.  Tommy does that too, so together they’re like a double whammy.

I had a whole bunch of really cool stuff written about this whole thing, but I hit a wrong button and... well, you know.  Guess I’ll type on a Word Doc first from now on.  Now I gotta get going.  I got FOUR maybe even five places to be today/tonight.

So late on in the jam, Tony Lee Thomas came on.  He mostly played guitar, and when he sang I couldn’t quite hear his excellent voice, but I really wasn’t paying attention anyway (no offense I hope)... cuz while the band played, this lovely lady came from nowhere and stepped up to another mic and smiled a lot.  She sang nice backing vocals too, but what we couldn’t help noticing was her presence.  What a charmer!  Take everything I’ve ever said about Hayley Jane, modify it for someone a wee bit younger and so just a bit timid, as if unsure about stepping up, and you’ve got this Jenny lady.  I actually didn’t realize she was with Tony’s band- she looked like she was just having some fun with an available microphone.  But as she smiled and sang and gave a bit of performance, I realized she was every bit as professional as the rest of ‘em- just so sweet and charming that we were taken by surprise.  Is that what they mean by “beguiling?”

No comments:

Post a Comment