Dusty Turntable

Dusty Turntable

Friday, May 16, 2014



140515            Double Header with an Extra Inning             Part Two- The Munich Haus

Katelyn Richards, my ‘other’ current crush (according to Eva- I think she’s just jealous) did a show at the Munich Haus in their beautiful Beirgarten.  I’m not sure how much of a garden it is, but there’s plenty of beer for sure; and it’s a great place to see live music.  Everybody oughtta play there; I couldn’t help but think how much I’d love to see any of my many crushes play there.  Well, OK, one in particular.  The place is only a year or so old; it was clearly designed and built for this kind of use.  The stage, neatly tucked into one corner, with what looks to be plenty of space for more than just a duo or trio, is separately lit and well-protected from the elements; large, sturdy umbrellas protected onlookers from what rains came down as well. 

Katelyn’s CD Producer and drummer, Lincoln Hubley accompanied with a nifty set-up consisting of a big kick drum and a bunch of conga-type percussors, which he played with hands and sticks (both ends), plus a couple of cymbals; and he sang both backing and lead vocals in all the right places.  Katelyn did quite a few songs from her album “Have Yours Too” and I for one was really happy about that.  The last times I had seen her, I was new to the Soundaliciousness of it all; now I am well-versed (so to speak) in at least a dozen of her songs.  I’d heard full-band versions at Theodore’s a couple of months ago; but with no earlier exposure, I had no reference or expectation (not a bad thing).  And a month or so ago, I heard a more strictly folksinger set, with lots of dinner-crowd pleasers and a few originals mixed in.  So I wanted to hear what I hoped would be a more ‘pure’ Katelyn set, and I think that’s pretty much what I got.  With a little Cat as well.

So, the acid test:  Can a singer (any singer, really) do the songs live and make them work as well as in recorded form?  Answer:  Katelyn can.  Cue:  sighs of relief (from me anyway).  As sweet as Katelyn’s voice is on record, and as much depth and range as she shows, are just as much in evidence in the live setting.  The songs are not ‘exactly’ the same (don’t be silly!) but any sentiment or expression-by-intonation is delivered just as effectively when it’s just the singer and her guitar; and the drums help to fill it out.  (In fact, it seems to me like a great answer to the age-old question of how to do the most with an unplugged act- just think if Art Gurfunkel had carried a small drum set.) 

Wildcat O’Halloran showed up after a while.  He threatened to via Facebook, so I was prepared.  Katelyn had him come up and play “Crossroads” while she sang; that was pretty neat- it’s not the kind of song you hear done with an acoustic guitar often.  And it takes a good player, I reckon, to pull it off.  Not that this is in doubt as regards the Cat.  He did a couple songs on his own next; skillful and entertaining as always.

Atmospheric songs, with those poetic lyrics and Katelyn’s lovely voice, kinda smoky and kinda sultry, but so sweet you don’t dare think like that, worked really well in this situation.  I asked for what I REALLY wanted, and I got it right away:  “Around the Corner.”  Chills.  I love that song.  I had to wait to hear some others first; I was afraid it might not have the same effect- the instrumentation, the arrangement, the vocal; and how it all mixes with the poignant lyric...  No, I was not to be disappointed, and I can live free from fear, at least as far as Katelyn is concerned and whether she’ll deliver live.  She does.  “Take Me With You, take me with you....”


No comments:

Post a Comment