Dusty Turntable

Dusty Turntable

Monday, May 19, 2014



170517 Richie Furay Band 70th Birthday Celebration with Special Guest Rusty Young 
and appearances by George Grantham - South Orange Performing Arts Center in NJ

Got to the venue exactly on time; sat in my specially selected mezzanine back row seat.  Announcer came out, made a couple of comments, and then said: “Tonight we’re going to upgrade one seat in the mezzanine to the front row- James O’Donnell, come on down!”  And so, for two hours or so the only thing between me and Richie Furay was a microphone stand.

The show was excellent, of course.  Anyone who has ever been to a Furay show knows he’s a great performer.  His singing, like his songwriting, is truly a work of craft.  Some few may not be so crazy about his voice (or so I’ve heard); those are probably the ones who need their art to be straightforward and lack an affinity for the genuine- the ol’ tyme twinge of a twang of a mountain tenor can be lost on a few unfortunate souls, I suppose.  They wouldn’t go for a song like “Crazy Eyes” even before RF hits the high notes (“Crazy Love” on the other hand... right up their poppy alley).  Richie performs a show like a great entertainer imbued with enough humility to keep him from going over the top in any way.  He’s not “too much” of anything, even as he is unmistakably original.  His banter, just enough of it, amuses and informs while reminding us that his pedigree and caliber make him a bona fide Hall-of-Famer.  The energy he puts into his performance shows a youthful heart, and the joy of God shows in his playing.  And he looks great! 

Daughter Jesse Lynch opened the show with the band, tearing through a few familiar rockers with ease and style.  This is a family affair, and an efficient show- no need to call in outsiders or let the house call in some locals.  The next set was a rare treat indeed- former band-mate Rusty Young came out for another preliminary set, singing (he’s been doing that for a while now) and playing a few acoustic numbers with his immaculate skill.  Rusty is pretty funny too, and he tells a story well; it’s hard to believe he’s the same skinny kid who used to stay behind the scenes (and his steel) and let others have the show, more or less (or so I imagine it- I missed a lot in those days).  A nice surprise came in the form of a DVD presentation for Richie’s 70th Birthday.  A couple or few dozen music friends and family offered up stories and well-wishes, and there were only one or two I didn’t recognize.  Jimmy Messina started it off and then a virtual parade followed.  I was especially gratified to see Al Perkins, a big fave for me (and probably millions of others) and Chris Hillman (of course!) among the presenters.  It seemed like they got everybody who’s anybody, even down to folks I had thought to be fairly obscure, like Gabe Katona (the lady next to me in my front-row seat knew who he was, though).  And some extra video covered the rest, like the old RF bands with John Mehler and Bill Batstone, reminding us that it’s all a legacy and not phases to be passed over like some.

Rusty Young, largely the reason I ponied up and ponied over (big bucks and long ride), joined the band for probably half the show.  He came and went, adding his touches and his presence in just the right measures.  And when George Grantham came out to add vocals to few songs, I figured this was probably the closest I would ever come (and literally, considering my unexpected good fortune) to a Poco reunion.  Rusty did say that “there will be no more Poco albums,” which is not surprising at this point really, although they do all show up at each others’ show every here and there.  But I had never heard of Rusty playing along with Richie at a show in this way, so I forked it over and made the drive, forsaking all other considerations (like a similar summit in Burlington Vermont with Twiddle and former Bangsta-mates).  And when I saw George’s autograph on some posters (I don’t buy none o’ that stuff), I knew this was a special event indeed.  Toward the end of the show, an even bigger surprise came in the form of ex-Turtle Mark Voorman, a guy who played a big part in Richie’s early career by letting him crash at his place for a while back in the day.  Richie seemed touched by this surprise appearance.

I’m conflicted.  Was this show a once-and-once-only?  I mean, Richie’s on tour, Rusty is part of the package, George is probably at most shows as he’s able; but it seems likely that the DVD is part of every show, and what about Mark Voorman?  Did they fly him in just for this one appearance, and maybe George too for that matter?  This is show business, after all.  So how much is unique to this date and how much of it is all just part of the show.  Cause Richie seemed really touched.  Much seemed singularly special.  Richie is a man of God- we all know the story; that’s part of the deal; I love that we’re in a day and age where we’re all more accepting of diversity than back in the day when record deals and promotion (and appreciation) depended on one’s category or classification.  Well, they still do, but some are able to “rise above” all that.  But... I’m left with a question of honesty versus showmanship.  In the end, though, no matter:  the experience I had was singular for me; the performance was great and I had a great time.

The set-list ran through mostly older Poco songs and newer RF songs.  The last time I saw Richie was a couple of years ago, at the Iron Horse in Northampton with my buddy Joe (the ‘other’ Joe, the ‘original’), and at that time they had just worked out Crazy Eyes and added it to their shows.  Scott Sellen proved himself to be a fine musician and a good sport by switching back and forth between guitar, banjo, and steel in all the right places as that nine-minute monster of composition marched through its many changes.  This time, he had an easier time of it, thanks to Rusty.  Tell ya what, though- last time was more exciting!  I think the band was at that time charged-up to play this thing, no small accomplishment by any stretch, and now they’ve grown used to it.  That’s my story, anyway; and just a wee bit of an answer for those who think I’m too positive.

Otherwise, the show was a great showcase for the star, his songs and his voice.  Being right up front as I was, I could hear Richie’s guitar so clearly that I was reminded of what a fine player he is.  He performs well, with reasonable antics and enthusiasm, but he plays real good too.  His tones are clear and touching to the soul.  His techniques are quite expert, I do believe, and he displays them all comfortably, not making a big show of it all.  He plays with the ease and subdued panache of an expert.  Here’s an odd comparison:  Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues, another gracefully aging gentleman, not usually classed among the Greatest or Flashiest; but once we pay attention, we see that the skill is top-notch and world-class.  I know this because I see it and I sense it and then I hear others, better judges than I, say it (and print it). 

A number of tunes were from an upcoming release, so there’s a teaser.  Something to look forward too!  In fact, I hung for a while after the show, and waited for the marker-in-hand folks to do their business, and I found my moment to approach Mr. Furay.  I shook his hand and suggested he come and play when I turn 70 -which he took to be in 20 years, thank you very much- and then when I told him I’d been with him since 1976 and his first solo album -from whence my interest in Poco went back, but he’s still my “First Love” ...  that led him to mention the upcoming CD, so the moment of Real Love slipped away, organically and comfortably.  I expressed my appreciation, and that’s about all I have. 
After I took off, it occurred to me that I hadn’t shook Rusty’s hand; I would have liked to thank him for the years as well... ah well, maybe next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment