Dusty Turntable

Dusty Turntable

Saturday, May 17, 2014



140516b          Wildcat O’Halloran Largish Band at Amherst Pub

Wildcat told me he wanted me to see “this version” of the band- I feel like Steve Martin when he got his name in the phone book: “I’m Somebody!” Really, it’s hugely validating to have the attention and esteem of an artist in this way, especially when the artist is one of such stature and significance.  Not sure just how sarcastic I’m being here...  Fact is, the Cat has been doing what he’s been doing for decades; I first heard his name back in the days when Ed Vadas and Tommy Whalen and so many others were cutting their teeth at Sheehan’s and Rahar’s and so many other places- back before I got drunk and married for twenty years and then got buried at work for even longer.  When I started coming out of my shell a year or so ago, there was the Catman, running his Sunday Jams and asking me, again and again every week, “What do you play?”  The answer is nuthin’ and I don’t dance either, but I do clap pretty good.  So if all’s I can do to participate is talk about it in print, after the fact, well... we all have our parts to play and it’s hugely gratifying to have one’s contribution noticed and maybe even valued.

So this ‘version’ of the Wildcat O’Halloran Band included both harp and sax, or was at times doubly saxed, and a rhythm section of new names for me, as well as another new man-crush on second guitar.  As always, all these players are exceedingly friendly, easily dispelling any of those stereotypes about snobby or even too-busy musician-types. 

Doug Plavin, who I’m sure I’ve seen and heard around for a good long while, played drums as expertly as any I’ve heard, with rock-solid backing and perfectly placed percussive embellishments.  And he bears the mark of a real professional drummer:  he gots no hair.  Chris Ball almost looked like a slightly younger Loverboy, Wildcat’s regular bass player, with a similar stance and grip, and he played exactly as I’ve come to expect from anyone hanging with the Cat- perfectly, with chops at the ready when called for and otherwise right in the pocket, steady and solid and dependable.

Devin Griffiths was there- Yay!  What a nice guy; who’s a-thunk his momma was to raise a blues-man?  Walking down the street, you might think he’s a family man and a great Dad, maybe a creative type, like a writer... and he is all of these, but you might not guess you’re looking at a guitar-slinger, especially such a talented (and skilled) one.  There might be an interview and feature in the works here- Devin has kinda skirted the scene for some time now, but no one beside Wildcat has been able to seduce, coerce, or otherwise drag him into it with much visibility.  Which is a shame for the rest of us who are missing out, cuz Devin is a mighty fine player.  First time he showed up at the Jam, my buddy Joe was all like, “Ooh ooh- check this guy out, he’s really GOOD!”  And what I see, with my limited powers of observation, is a guy who looks kinda squeaky-clean and plays the same way.  His sounds are all really clear; no muddy smearing going on here.  It’s really fun to watch- his solos are precise and sharp, full of quick notes without shredding or overplaying at all.  In fact, he’s a fully capable axe-man but he’s in a mostly supporting role, so it goes without saying that showboating of any kind ain’t in the mix.  I couldn’t help but think of Glenn Schwartz, the James Gang’s original guitarist (yes, before Joe walsh) who had some success with Pacific Gas & Electric.  Look that one up in your Funk & Wagnall’s... or Wikipedia.

The band sported two guests this time out, one young ‘n’ purty and the other, not so much.  Emily Duff, a recent Master’s in music grad, had the good fortune to make acquaintance with Wildcat O’Halloran just in time to appear on his latest album, “Party Up In Heaven,” and he’s been following her around ever since.  “Doctor Luscious” shows up at the jam and every here & there, and now Uncle Wally Greaney is coaxing her along as well.  A graduate degree will teach plenty I’m sure, but a piece o’ paper can’t instill chops- those come as they will, and Emily looks to have ‘em.  Of all the band members, she got the most attention from attendees afterwards- yes, because of her playing!  She gets some grit going even though she seems mild-mannered.  Another pleasure to watch!

Which brings us to Mistah Wally Greaney, Sweet Daddy Cool Breeze himself.   You might know I can’t go a day without mentioning Tommy Whalen, so here it is... Wally plays with Tommy a lot.  No wait, that ain’t right.  They play with each other often.  Hmmm.  Wally is often the harp and sax player with Tommy Whalen and the Ragged Edge.  There.  In fact, he’s about the only guy around, maybe the only guy on the planet, good enough to be in Tommy’s -or Wildcat’s- band.  Wally also does the Sweet Daddy Cool Breeze Band from time to time; any of these options is well worth the watcher’s time and trouble to make the trip.  The thing about Wally is he’s really a real professional.  He plays, he performs, he entertains, all in balance as a contributor to the matters at hand.  Whether it’s Tommy or Wildcat or another guest slot, he takes his share of the floor without anywhere near taking over.  And Real Blues Harp is hard to come by these days, especially with the finesse that Wally brings- and bring it he do!

Having said all this, I guess I should mention that the music is pretty good too, and the master of the proceedings is a whole lot of fun as well.  Wildcat O’Hallorn heads up the pack with gusto and charm; he always manages to work in some humorous anecdotes and he acts the gracious host as well.  He plays real good too.  You ain’t never heard a Telecaster sound like this one; no twangy country here.  It’s partly in the build and muchly in the playing; he gots a lots o’ big, fat notes and low, rolling rumbles coming out o’ that thing.  Sometimes I think I hear Trower, strictly a Strat man, in his pedigree, especially with those hammer-ons that he uses to such great effect, but no- I’ve asked and Wildcat is all Wildcat with a long line of tradition, mostly (or entirely) American, I do believe.  I’ve seen him carry the show as a trio, I’ve seen him lead the Suday Blues Jam, and now I’ve seen him at the helm of a larger ensemble.  He does it all well, and there’s a lot else he does around the area too.  I reckon the dude is worth keeping an eye on.

No comments:

Post a Comment