Dusty Turntable

Dusty Turntable

Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Phyllistines at Patti’s 410, Chicopee MA Friday 9 May 2014

They call themselves “a dynamic mix of rock, blues, country & funk cover and original songs,” and that seems an apt description of Phyllis Lataille’s band with Ken Kucza on guitar and vocals, Daryl Whitaker on bass and occasional vocals, and Barry Boccasile on drums.  I met Phyllis a while ago via my buddy Joe; I’d seen her around a few times and she always seemed to remember me as though we actually knew each other, so (not being one to shun anyone’s attention or good vibes) I had been meaning to check her out (her music, I mean) for some time now.  And wherever Phyllis goes, Mary is sure to accompany, so... bonus!

What we got for our showing up was a pleasant surprise.  For some reason, I was expecting sort-of a slide-in-hand, local blues goddess type, but maybe with a more ‘grizzled’ persona, kinda like Bonnie Raitt meets Joe Dulude... but this was a much more pleasant mix than all of that!  The ‘spread’ was across the decades, from the 60’s on up to fairly contemporary material, all seasoned with the band’s particular flavor.  Phyllis’s voice was much sweeter than would work for an entire set of blues; in fact I found myself increasingly and pleasantly enchanted by the way she fairly fearlessly embraced a wide range of material.

For myself, even though I do enjoy the hell out of it, I almost cringe whenever I hear a disco song pop up.  Mind you, I’m OK with Talking Heads or Blondie, and don’t they ‘meet up’ with disco by way of a funk beat and smooth, silky instrumentation?  But when the Phyllistines started off their second set with MacArthur Park, I was like ‘OmiGod what are they doing...’  But, guess what, they pulled it off.  In fact, the band really started to gel at this point.  The first set had that ‘garage-band feel,’ like they were loose and having fun while kinda looking to each other to see what was gonna happen next, with the material feeling more like adult-contemporary folkies having a go at some fun.  But when they whipped out the funk, things got cooking.  Phyllis’s voice really suited the song, Daryl had some chances to throw in the plucks and slaps he clearly loves, Barry nailed it; he got loose and percussive while holding it all down, and Ken pulled out his slinkiest, shiniest playing yet. 

Mr. Kucza seems a rather quiet fellow, and I can’t place where I first came by the idea that this guy is good, but so far I think I was right.  He might be one of those humble professor types, or maybe a mad scientist is more like it, but he plays with a lot of restraint.  Ant time he takes a solo, the listener is left wondering ‘what alse ya got?’  He’s clearly a guy with more to offer than can be captured in any one show, or band even.  I believe he has at least one other outlet (who doesn’t, these days?), Glenwood Mills.  And so, we have a new man-crush to follow... Sorry, Joey!

They also got a little louder.  Patti’s 410 Lounge is right in the middle of a bunch of residences- a real neighborhood bar- so, volume might be an issue.  The Phylllistines cranked it up at this point, though, just enough.  I guess that’s how they struck me overall: Just Enough.  A little of this, a little of that, all played out with a sense of experimentation; mostly covers with a couple of originals, and some guesting from a few attending musicians and even a whole band (Time) at one point.  All in all, it had the feel of a jam session without being anything less than a showcase for talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment