Dusty Turntable

Dusty Turntable

Thursday, May 15, 2014



Big Surprise of the night for Thursday the 14th:  A Girl Named Jenny!

I had almost thought about ditching my plans for the night, as another Big Thing (in my world anyway) was happening up in Vermont, but I decided to stay with what for me was a priority.  Gina Gunn had kinda promised she’d show up at Theodore’s to jam with Tommy Whalen, so I felt like I had (maybe just a little) orchestrated this little summit, so I wanted to follow through.  Besides, whenever Tommy Whalen plays, the Jam is sure to flow.  And I now know that the same holds true for Gina.  Twice now, I have seen her become the transforming force in facilitating a shift from an OK jam to full dance floor.  Tommy does that too, so together they’re like a double whammy.

I had a whole bunch of really cool stuff written about this whole thing, but I hit a wrong button and... well, you know.  Guess I’ll type on a Word Doc first from now on.  Now I gotta get going.  I got FOUR maybe even five places to be today/tonight.

So late on in the jam, Tony Lee Thomas came on.  He mostly played guitar, and when he sang I couldn’t quite hear his excellent voice, but I really wasn’t paying attention anyway (no offense I hope)... cuz while the band played, this lovely lady came from nowhere and stepped up to another mic and smiled a lot.  She sang nice backing vocals too, but what we couldn’t help noticing was her presence.  What a charmer!  Take everything I’ve ever said about Hayley Jane, modify it for someone a wee bit younger and so just a bit timid, as if unsure about stepping up, and you’ve got this Jenny lady.  I actually didn’t realize she was with Tony’s band- she looked like she was just having some fun with an available microphone.  But as she smiled and sang and gave a bit of performance, I realized she was every bit as professional as the rest of ‘em- just so sweet and charming that we were taken by surprise.  Is that what they mean by “beguiling?”

It turns out that the Tony Lee Thomas band is going to play at the Keilbasa Fest in Chicopee right before Jeff King, so guess what... I gotta go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment